Wednesday 17 January 2007

Blogs

My late discovery of this site was prompted by one of my modules this term: Online Journalism. Previously I had heard of blogs in passing but dismissed them as trivial online diaries most commonly used by teenagers discussing their angst. This is obviously not the case. Those on the highest ranks of the journalistic ladder are blogging. Senior broadcast journalist at the BBC, Robin Hammon, says “I think that everyone who works in industry, journalism or academia needs to blog to stay relevant and informed these days.” He also points out the opportunity it gives to be part of “a much wider and more informed conversation” and to engage directly with your audience. http://www.journalism.co.uk/features/story1943.shtml
Howard Owens of Gatehouse Media, one of the largest publishers of print and online media in America, emphasises the importance to students, “Every student journalist should spend at least six months totally immersed in blogging…Learn to be a participant. That’s my advice to pro journalists, too: if you want to learn this culture, become a participant in it.” http://www.collegemediainnovation.org/blog/2007/01/15/icm-interview-howard-owens/
So, it seems blogs are much more important to our online culture than I realised, I am simply jumping on the bandwagon.

No comments: