Tuesday 16 January 2007

An Introduction, if you like.

It all seemed simple. First, pick a course. Well, I always wanted to do English Language, but considering what an expensive commodity a full-time degree is I thought it might be an idea to make it a little more vocational. So, after much deliberation of what was on offer and what I might enjoy I picked Journalism. As it turned out is was a very good choice.
Second, pick a university. I realised after 18 years of enjoying life in lazy Cornwall it would probably do me good to experience the bright lights and fast pace of a city. Kingston University had a bright pink prospectus (no, that really was how it started). It also offered English Language with Journalism. After substantial enquiries it seemed to be a good uni, and one I could probably get in. Luckily (seeing as I missed the open days) I love Kingston, enjoy being so close to London and even don’t mind the long journey home.
Taking all this into account, I really don’t think I was fully prepared for the whole university thing. I now find myself terminally skint and wondering what on god’s green I am going to do with my life post-uni. I wish there was some kind of catalogue that you could pick and choose a career out of so if you didn’t like it and it was rubbish you could send it right back. Maybe work experience is the answer; lots of it!

No comments: